sugarbot's aim is to provide testing and automation facilities for the OLPC Project's Sugar GUI. The project must first identify and evaluate possible implementation options, and then implement the best choice. Although it has a Sugar focus, sugarbot should be easily extensible to other Python-based GUI's.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Not cooperating...

Ubuntu, sugar-jhbuild, and Vmware Fusion are not cooperating.  And it's pissing me off.

First, I tried to use the old sugar-jhbuild from before the drive corruption, because I had the actual files stored on the Mac filesystem (accessed in Ubuntu via the Shared Folders featured in VMWare).  For whatever reason, that didn't work.  Okay, I can accept that.

Next, I tried to simply './sugar-jhbuild update' and './sugar-jhbuild build' on the existing installation.  I let that run overnight.  No dice.

So I started out with a fresh copy, via git.  After 'update' passed, 'build' decided that it would freeze the VM, resulting in me having to hard-reboot (because the VMWare process would not quit via Force Quit or sudo kill).

Now I am rebuilding sugar-jhbuild *again*, and it's deciding that it's going to take its dandy time.  Literally.  I've given the VM 512MB of RAM and access to both processors, and it's sitting at about 20% utilization.  In addition to that, the VM is completely unresponsive -- which is intereseting, because it is supposedly (according to Activity Monitor in OSX) -- not really doing anything.

This whole incident is becoming very frustrating.  I can't test any of the 'nose' code that I've written, because none of the Sugar libraries are available/working under Leopard, which means that anything that's Sugar-dependent (read: everything) refuses to run on Python under OSX.

In order to see if I could expedite things, I went the 'apt' route with precreated Sugar packages and emulator.  I figured I'd just run the sugar-jhbuild process in the background, and work around it until it was done building.  As I mentioend before, the VM is completely unresponsive... to the point that I'm considering just creating a new VM (yet again...).  Of course, I know that won't really solve anything, because Ubuntu runs just fine until it gets a few minutes into the sugar-jhbuild process.

I should very shortly have access to a shiny new Dell workstation (as part of my UH project) that will have Ubuntu on it.  Hopefully that will yield better results.

No comments: