sugarbot's aim is to provide testing and automation facilities for the OLPC Project's Sugar GUI. The project must first identify and evaluate possible implementation options, and then implement the best choice. Although it has a Sugar focus, sugarbot should be easily extensible to other Python-based GUI's.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

kiwi.ui.test

I was looking for a bit of advice regarding PyGTK in general, so I hopped on the IRC channel today.  I asked a few pretty general questions, and ended up talking to the guy who wrote kiwi.ui.test.  I talked a little bit about the implementation, and we agreed that our goals are "very much aligned".  Cool stuff :-) (Grig had mentioned kiwi in an email, but I couldn't find any relevant material -- I guess I just didn't look hard enough)

As far as actual development goes, I didn't do much today.  I spent a while poring through PyGTK API documentation, kiwi source, and guitest source.  Still haven't heard back from the guitest writer.  The only other response I got from the IRC channel seemed to think that GUI automation from a separate process, without relying on accessibility information, wasn't quite sane.

I've pretty much abandoned both ecto and MarsEdit.  ecto wants to force arbitrary compliance on HTML, and MarsEdit provides no WYSIWYG.  Unfortunately, the Blogger WYSIWYG editor doesn't seem to like copy-and-pasting text, without using the right-click-paste method of pasting.

My sleep cycle has been off for the past week (sleep 3AM-Noon), which interferes with my ability to get work done and not be disturbed by my significant other.  I'm getting to sleep early tonight (sometime before midnight) so that I can get up at a reasonable time tomorrow (perhaps 8-9AM).  This should give me significantly increased productivity :-).

No comments: