sugarbot's aim is to provide testing and automation facilities for the OLPC Project's Sugar GUI. The project must first identify and evaluate possible implementation options, and then implement the best choice. Although it has a Sugar focus, sugarbot should be easily extensible to other Python-based GUI's.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Workin' It Out

Still having some issues figuring out how a few things work in kiwi.ui.test's common.py.  I think most of the confusion stems from the fact that some of the functionality implemented in common.py directly interferes with what I'm trying to do, and it takes me a while to catch on.

On a side note, it appears that I might run into some issues with gtk.Entry naming.  Being that Entries do not have any built-in labeling mechanism, the chances that developers are naming the entries properly are slim, I think.  I might have to create a mechanism to create names for entry-boxes.  This runs into the issue of how to reliably name the entries, such that they will receive the same name each time the program is run.  I think it might be better to require developers to give them a meaningful name (or perhaps I can go into the code and do that).

Also, got my Google 'gift' today.  It's actually a pretty nice book, titled "Beautiful Code" (and O'Reilly book).  Most of the examples are in C\PHP\Java syntax, with what might be Perl scattered here or there.  There is a chapter (Chapter 18: Python's Dictionary Implementation: Being All Things to All People) that is Python-centric, so I might find some useful stuff there.  Unfortunately, that chapter is under ten pages long.  Still, I do the vast majority of my work in C\C++, so this may come in handy :-).

No comments: