sugarbot's aim is to provide testing and automation facilities for the OLPC Project's Sugar GUI. The project must first identify and evaluate possible implementation options, and then implement the best choice. Although it has a Sugar focus, sugarbot should be easily extensible to other Python-based GUI's.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Underwhelmed

After spending a little bit with guitest, I have to say that I am a little bit... underwhelmed at how it's implemented. Being that I haven't really used software that does GUI automation, I wasn't sure what to expect... but given the test examples that were included (along with the complete lack of documentation), I have higher hopes for dogtail and GUITAR.

I will have to take a close look at dogtail's procedural API. It looks like it resembles what I (and I think Titus, as well) have in mind for controlling sugarbot.

> Update: Looks like I spoke too soon. While their procedural API looks like something I'd like to look at a bit more closely, their documentation is sorely lacking.

> Update 2: eMailed the creator of guitest. I didn't realize that it was 3 years out since it was actively maintained... but hopefully I'll get a response. It appears that he keeps an updated blog (gintasm.blogspot.com), so I'm fairly confident I will.

> Really Not Related: Mail.app's Mailbox>Rebuild command is amazing, if not entirely apparent. I had some duplicated emails that refused to be deleted.

No comments: